Monday, November 28, 2016

Post Election Funk, Fear, Pulling Myself Up By My BootStraps & Forging Ahead

Because the past few weeks has been hard on our whole nation - but I'm forging ahead with a vengeance. 
######
Post election funk is real and it's scary - it makes focusing hard- writing and blogging even harder. 
I’m scared about the future, my health insurance, the cost of being a person living with a chronic illness, and the ever growing division in our country. 

I know we’re not supposed to talk politics in the DOC - but I can’t explain why its been hard for me to be present in the DOC without mentioning our our presidential election. 
After the election many of us took a break from social media, television and the likes there of - including me - and as much as I hated to do it - I needed too. 
My heart and my head hurt and still do. I’m mad at how the election turned out for many reasons -as a woman, as a person with diabetes, living with a pre-existing condition, as an American who has always voted as an Independent and never straight down party lines, who has always done research on what and who I was voting for. 

I'm scared, angry, and frustrated that fake news is accepted as fact. 
I'm scared of the hate I see others express for those who are different  - and I want it to stop instead of it being encouraged. 
I'm angry that opposing parties demonize one another to the point it's now damaged and fractured our country. 

Instead of feeling empowered - the post election vibe made me feel powerless and scared - two words/feelings I despise. 

As a Diabetes Advocate I’ve learned to use my diabetes voice and become empowered in the process - and now I must take those same DA super powers and develop my voice as a citizen of the United States - and I am. I’ve always been one to reach out to my Reps in Congress and the Senate - and I’ve tripled my efforts now - and I strongly encourage you to do the same!
Financially and health wise, 2017 was the year I was going to sign up for the the Affordable Care Act - and I’m not so sure if I should now.
My current health insurance rates up again in March and my deductible is high. 
Now that the Thanksgiving holiday is behind us - I plan on taking the next week and researching ACA and will keep you posted on my findings. 
Speaking of the ACA, you/we can register our support for the ACA .
Paul Ryan's office is conducting a survey hoping to show a popular mandate to repeal the ACA - but the survey can also be used to register support for the ACA. 
It's automated and quick and here’s what you need to do:
1) Call (202) 225 -0600
2) Wait for awhile (1-2 min) for a recording to start 
3) You will get prompted by the survey
4) Press 2 to participate
5) Press 1 to register your support for the ACA
It only takes a couple minutes and it’s a sure way for our collective voices to be heard!

I’m also mad that the presidential election in the United States had such a negative and powerful impact on the International Diabetes Awareness month - and yet I totally understand it, because I experienced it and talked with others in the DOC who felt the same way. 

Another focus shifter occurred a few weeks ago (the day before election day,) when I scheduled surgery for my right wrist and pointer finger for December 13th. 
My right wrist and finger really hurt to the point of having to ice both daily. 
I’ve met my deductible for 2016 - now’s the time to get it done.
I’ve spent a lot of time (but not nearly enough,) prepping for the time I’ll be off and I wish it was over and done with. 

I spent the past week traveling to be with my family for Thanksgiving. 
For the first time ever, I drove solo and almost 700 miles each way, to spend time with my family - and it worked wonders for my heart and spirit. 
For the first time in what seemed like forever, I laughed until I cried... and I jammed with people who are just as "Kunikal -The_Musical" as I am!  

So as much as I want a “do-over” for the entire month of November - diabetes and politically speaking - I'm working my ass off to pull myself up by my bootstraps and forge ahead with a vengeance - it's really hard and some days are better than others. 
So thanks for your patience and understanding - it means the world to me. 

Speaking of thanks, for as little as $5 you can send a beautiful and straight from the heart thank-you to a loved one/loved ones who makes your life with diabetes easier - and you get to support the Diabetes Hands Foundation in the process! 
Click HERE to learn more.

Also, here's the thank-you that Mr. Mike Lawson sent me - it made my eyes leak in a really great way!  


Speaking of forging ahead, I have a new article up on Mango Health on Chronic Illness Burnout, so please give it a read by clicking, HERE.  
The topic is timely and it’s straight from my heart - and my beautifully busted pancreas~

2 comments:

Scott E said...

You know what -- I feel that funk. Between the election, stress at my job, stress about projects around the house, and a change in insurance in July, and whatever else you can fit in, my funk is unlike any I can remember.

For awhile (pre-election) I was drawn to election coverage as if it were a guilty-pleasure. It was my bad comedic-drama escape, like Saved By the Bell or Full House, where the end of the world was imminent but you knew it would all work out in the end. Only this time, it hasn't.

And now I'm torn between being an activist trying to make things better, or closing my eyes to the whole thing between making ME better. It's tough. I guess I do a little of both, neither of it well. I could use that do-over.

Rick Phillips said...

I called and yes I have been nothing but swimming in the soup of upset. So I am saying this will pass, this will pass.

This item has been referred to the TUDiabetes Blog page for the week of November 21, 2016